Corn Elote is one of those street foods that you cannot pass up! If I go to a Mexican restaurant, you know I’m looking to see if they have Elote. I’ve had great elote and horrible elote, horrible consisting of watery canned corn and globs of egg-based mayonnaise.
The amount of energy I have when I don’t eat animal products is astounding. My body doesn’t ache, I don’t have a stomach ache, I’m not as tired or not tired at all and I feel an overall surge of good within me.
As a cook, a favorite game I like to play is: guess the ingredients. Elote was fairly easy for me since it uses common seasoning found in Mexican food and consists of less than 10 ingredients. Remember less is often more.
If you want to improve your ability to recognize flavors, I recommend tasting ingredients individually and taste the dish you’re preparing throughout the cooking process.
This recipe is delicious and can trick anyone that loves dairy. Follow Your Heart produces delicious dairy-free alternatives and their shredded parmesan is no exception. I pulsed mine in a small food processor to imitate the texture of cojita.
This is an easy dish to make in large batches and I guarantee that if you serve this at your next party that it will be a huge hit!
Vegan Corn Elote
A zesty and cheesy Mexican favorite made dairy free.
Credit: Kat Polomsky
- 4 ears of corn
- 1/4 cup vegan shredded cheese (Follow Your Heart shredded parmesan is mighty tasty)
- destemmed & chopped fresh cilantro
- Lima Crema Sauce
Lima Crema Ingredients
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo (I use Just Mayo found at WFM)
- 2 tbsp Lime juice (Fresh is always better but I used bottled lime juice)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is tasty too!)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp destemmed & chopped fresh cilantro
1) Grab all ingredients and place mis-en-place on the counter.
2) Husk corn and remove as much string of the cobs as possible. Wash.
3) I cut the cobs in half. If you plan to do this, use the butt of your chef knife and be careful not to cut yourself.
4) To cook the corn: Either grill corn, while turning often or heat pan to medium/high heat and cook until soft with brown/char spots on kernels (approx. 10 minutes)
5) While corn is cooking, mix all ingredients of lima crema in a small ball until completely blended.
6) When corn is soft and has some color, remove from flame.
7) Slather lima crema onto cooked corn, sprinkle with vegan cheese, and garnish with fresh cilantro.